25 December 2008

Not Enough Time For Martha

When I received my Holiday edition of Martha in the mail, I saw this glorious dessert that I definitely wanted to serve for Christmas: the Chocolate-Coconut Charlotte. It was everything I'd ever wanted in a holiday dessert - a combination of flavors and custards with crispy, homemade chocolate ladyfingers encircling the delicious layers, and just too much work on top of my French Onion soup and Prime Rib Roast. My usual reaction is to take on the stress until I've gone so insane that I could not possibly enjoy either the creation or the demolition of the masterpiece. I didn't make the damn thing.

Oh, the glory


The Holiday edition of Cooking Light came next in the mail, and lo and behold, there was my simplified Christmas dessert. The recipe calls for ten 4-ounce individual ramekins; we had six, so we improvised. For some reason, I didn't even think of how this would affect the bake time, which resulted in the cakes being much less gooey on the inside than desired.

Mmmm, gooey


But we prevailed, and everyone managed to eat just about half of their little cake. It was then that everyone wanted to know how they would take it home without stealing my ramekins. And I was at a loss. I think we popped them out of the container and wrapped them in saran wrap or something. Anyway, these were quick and easy. When cooked properly, they are a little bit crispy on top and hot and gooey on the inside. The sprinkling of powdered sugar makes them look elegant and simple. Just be sure to assemble them at least four hours ahead, as they need to sit in the refrigerator for that long.

My grandparents were confused as to why I was taking pictures


Hot Chocolate Fudge Cakes
Makes 10 individual servings, somehow (we only had 6, which greatly affected the cook time)

3.4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
5 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup egg substitute
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (2.6-ounce) bar dark (71% cocoa) chocolate (such as Valrhona Le Noir Amer), finely chopped
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Sift together flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt.

Place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 1 minute. Add granulated and brown sugars, beating until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add egg substitute and vanilla, beating until well blended. Fold flour mixture into sugar mixture; fold in chocolate. Divide batter evenly among 10 (4-ounce) ramekins; arrange ramekins on a jelly-roll pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but no more than 2 days.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Let ramekins stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Uncover and bake at 350° for 21 minutes or until cakes are puffy and slightly crusty on top. Sprinkle evenly with powdered sugar; serve immediately.

No comments: