23 December 2008

Fudge Again, with Stuff on Top

My usual recipe for fudge contains half semi-sweet and half milk chocolate, so this was sort of an experiment. I was very lucky because this occurred as part of the Cookie Box Baking Extravaganza, and it turned out great! I actually prefer this recipe to my regular one now because the marshmallow swirl is very attractive and it seems to stay moister (and thus, fresher) longer.

IT'S A TABLE, A DRESSER, A PIECE OF WOOD


I made one batch for my cookie boxes and another for a cookie exchange at my mom's office. After making the first batch, I noticed that the marshmallow swirl was mostly on the top, so I tried to marbelize a little deeper for the second batch and it turned out a little better. My only advice would be to not be afraid of swirling the marshmallow in; it helps in the long run.

IT'S FUDGE


Marshmallow Swirl Fudge
Makes 64 squares

3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, separated
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
2 cups miniature marshmallows

Line a 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil.

In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, melt chips with milk, 2 tablespoons of butter, vanilla, and salt. Remove from heat and stir in nuts before spreading evenly into prepared pan.

Meanwhile, melt marshmallows with 2 tablespoons butter in microwave. Spread marshmallow mixture on top of fudge and marbelized with a butter knife.

Chill for at least two hours, until firm. When ready to cut, turn fudge onto cutting board and peel off foil. Using a sharp, moist knife makes the cutting process easier.

No comments: