23 December 2008

In Russia, Minstrels Eat You

Around early November each year, I start to develop these really great ideas for the holidays: I'm going to serve a prime rib roast for dinner, I'm going to make cookie boxes for all of my friends, I'm going to finally make world peace happen. But by the time that finals have chewed me up and spat me out, I am either a) working or b) sleeping.

These look floppy


On the eve of Christmas Eve, I worked the closing shift, and I had the bright idea to bake all of the cookies I had promised everyone. So, I woke up (late, of course), scoured my recipes, and went to the store to get some supplies.

Powdery and yum


The baking went by with nary a hitch; I only had one incident with marshmallows in the microwave when I made the fudge. The best part of the day was the discovery of these Russian Tea Cakes. They were easy and optionally nut-free; buttery and sweet. They are also quite possibly one of Andrew's new favorite cookies.

Nothing witty to say about the Russians


Russian Tea Cakes
Makes about 3 dozen cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspooon salt
1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Blend powdered sugar with softened butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix thoroughly. Stir in salt, flour, and nuts.

Form dough into 1-inch balls (or flattened cookies) and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes.

While the cookies are still hot, roll them in powdered sugar, coating completely. Let cool and roll in powdered sugar again.

No comments: