23 December 2008

Cookie Crisp with Caffeine

These first caught my eye in Cookies by Jill Snider because they were called Mocha Java Shortbread logs, and I thought that sounded...well, entirely unappetizing. The idea kind of grew on me, though, and I ended up making them for my cookie boxes.

Little logs of poop and coffee


I feel as though I can't give an honest review on these because I didn't actually try one. Before I got a chance, I had them all packed up to give away. I did get some pictures of them and responses from other people, though. One person told me that they reminded them of Cookie Crisp. When I realized that I hadn't had Cookie Crisp since I was seven or eight years old, I knew I couldn't honestly explain the relevance of this comment. I was also told that without the chocolate drizzle to add to the "mocha"
flavor, the coffee was overpowering. All I could recommend is to add the chocolate drizzle. Or, if you're stuck for time like I was, maybe try dipping half of the cookie in chocolate.

Cookie Crisp


Mocha Java Shortbread Logs
Makes 3 dozen cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Semisweet chocolate, melted for decorating

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, cornstarch, coffee powder, and chocolate in a small bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. With a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture, mixing until thoroughly blended. Using your hands, knead to form a smooth dough.

Shape into small logs, each about 2- by 1/2-inch; place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 17 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges. Cool for 5 minutes on a sheet, then transfer to a rack and cool completely.

If drizzling or dipping in chocolate, do so after completely cooled.

No comments: