22 June 2008

The Truth About Coffee Cake

Today I'm going to talk about coffee cake. My boyfriend (gb) pointed out that I hadn't really posted anything about original recipes and suggested that I do so; this was really the only recipe I could think of that was mostly me, so I think it might have been something of a scam for him to get a coffee cake.

My loving poopsyscmoo


gb doesn't like cake much, but this is the exception - he could probably eat an entire one in two or three days. Luckily for him, I really enjoy making it because it's super-easy and I usually have all of the ingredients on hand. Plus, it only takes me about seven or eight minutes to throw it together and it always comes out perfect.

Note the disposable aluminum pan


One specific thing to keep in mind with this recipe is your pan. I have always made these on those flimsy aluminum disposable 13x9's and they are always perfectly moist and crunchy after 38 minutes. The only time I have ever had problems with this recipe occurred when I used a plain metal baking pan - the cook time was off. Also, do not increase the amount of cinnamon too much, or it bakes into the cake and the crunch of the cinnamon-sugar is lost.

A fancy close-up


AwesomePossum Coffee Cake
Makes one 13x9-inch cake, about 24 servings

1 (18.25-oz.) box yellow cake mix
1 large box instant vanilla pudding mix (sorry, I don't know the exact ounce-age on this one)
4 large eggs
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 to 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt or 13x9-inch pan (I've never actually made it with a bundt pan; I usually don't have much luck with them).

First, make the filling/topping: stir together the sugar, cinnamon, and nuts in a small bowl until completely combined (I usually use a fork instead of a spoon - it helps the cinnamon-sugar combine easier). In a large mixing bowl, sift together cake and pudding mix. Whisk in eggs, water, oil, vanilla, and cinnamon until mixture is completely smooth. Pour a little more than half of the batter into pan.

Sprinkle more than half of the cinnamon-sugar mix over the batter, making sure to cover most of it evenly. Then, top with the remaining batter; try to cover the entire first layer. Sprinkle more of the cinnamon-sugar over the top layer, saving a small amount. Take two butter knives and move them in opposite directions through the pan, marbelizing the cake until the cinnamon-sugar is spread evenly throughout. Then top with the remaining cinnamon sugar.

Bake for 38 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you're lucky, a thin but crunchy crust will rise up on top of the cake.


Stay tuned later on for my birthday cake and a really easy coconut cream pie I'm making for my grandpa this week.

2 comments:

Remy Schnitzel said...

Mmm... coffee cake.

Unknown said...

That's a tasty somebitch