20 June 2008

Muffins #1: Blackberry

After I got out of class today, I really had a hankering to make some muffins. Luckily, I didn't have work or anything, so lo an behold today was a muffin day. I'm posting about the blackberry muffins I made today and I'll post about the orange-raspberry ones tomorrow.

These muffins were from a recipe I found on Simply Recipes, although hers were a little prettier than mine. I halved it because I only had six ounces of blackberries and it made 11 good-sized muffins. Also, I used light sour cream, 1% milk, and quartered most of the blackberries because mine were so big.

I am cutting blackberries.


The end result was pretty good. They weren't very sweet, but I don't know if I would actually add any more sugar to it - it was probably due to the berries not being completely ripe or something variable like that. They were soft and tasted delicious with a smear of butter, right out of the oven. (Okay, I really used Promise margarine, but I'm sure they'd be good with butter, too.)

Cross-section sans Promise


They smelled like blueberry pancakes both in their dough form and while they were baking, which is strange, considering there were no blueberries involved.

This is picture number 666


Blackberry Muffins
Makes about 12 regular-sized muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon milk
1/3 cup sugar
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 ounces fresh blackberries, cut in half

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease 12 regular-sized muffin cups.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together; then in a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, sour cream, milk, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir as little as possbile, just until the entire mixture is moistened. Mix in the berries, careful not to overmix. (The original recipe recommends defrosting the berries if they are frozen, draining them, and coating them lightly in flour.) The batter will be very thick, almost like a runny cookie dough.

Pour batter into muffin cups, filling them 3/4 full. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool for at least 5 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.

No comments: