18 June 2008

Copycat Twice Over

A little while ago, I snagged a recipe for something to the effect of Levain copycats from Cookie Madness. They looked delicious, and I do prefer big and chewy when it comes to cookies, so I gave it a try. The first batch I made needed a little more flavor, so on the second and third batches, I used a little more salt than called for and added vanilla and cinnamon.
They use bread flour instead of all-purpose, so they're much thicker and remain about the same size before and after being cooked; they also end up having imperfect but scrumptious shapes.

These are actually from another batch I made with chocolate chips and coconut.


For my version, I doubled the recipe (to make it a medium-small batch) and tweaked the flavor a little bit. I've also made different combinations of chips and nuts.
These cookies are now officially my throwdown recipe for when I need a small amount of chocolate chippers fast.



Big and Fluffy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 6 to 8 giant cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 tablespoons dark brown sugar (I haven't tried light yet, but I'm sure it's fine)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups bread flour (The original recommends weighing out 6 1/2 ounces)
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon salt (I always just eye it)
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup coarsely chopped, untoasted walnuts

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat the butter, sugars, and vanilla together just until incorporated; add the egg and beat shortly. Make sure not to over-beat!

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients; add to batter and stir just until blended. Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts. This will result in a semi-dry dough.

Form the dough into rough-looking mounds and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for about 20 minutes. Be sure to let them cool for at least 10 minutes before trying to move them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay! Good job, poopsy!