10 August 2008

Nostalgic and Delicious

The recipe that started me baking at the ripe young age of 8 was one for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies out of a Betty Crocker Cookbook. They're my grandpa's favorite cookies and he always asks for them for trips, special occasions, and just in general.

Two types of sugar, plus white and brown sugar


While my dad likes the raisins in these cookies, I prefer them any other way, either with chocolate chips, nuts, or just plain. My grandpa just likes cookies in general and will eat pretty much whatever I bring him, because he loves me very much and is one of my biggest fans. When I get my bakery, I will make these cookies with walnuts and chocolate chips and call them Triple-B Cookies for my grandpa.

I ate...a lot of this dough too


I made this particular version to use up some Reese's Pieces Baking Bits that I bought to try out in cookies. So, these cookies had both peanut butter candy and chocolate chips sprinkled throughout. I wasn't too blown away by the Reese's bits; I would probably make these again with peanut butter as well as chocolate chips.

They flattened out a little bit more than usual, but they were still delightful


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Makes 3 dozen cookies

2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup raisins, chopped nuts or semisweet chocolate chips, if desired

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In large bowl, beat all ingredients except oats, flour and raisins with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in oats, flour and raisins.

On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart.

Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.

No comments: