01 August 2008

Ants, Humidity, and Cupcakes

I have a couple of friends who are going to school in Berkeley, but come home to Arkansas in the summer and on holidays. Each summer, before they go back out west, we get together and eat food. This year, we had a picnic outside in 98-degree weather.

Look at the butt one


Cupcakes are a pretty good standby for picnics and potlucks and the like, so I volunteered to bring some. When I make something as simple as a cupcake, I like to try variations and new recipes. The actual cake recipe was from Martha Stewart, and the frosting was just the Quick Vanilla Buttercream that I used for the IHCC Birthday cake.

Mixer designs


These cupcakes were very good straight out of the cooler. The cake part was quite different: it was very dense and had an interesting texture that I would guess would be enjoyed best cold. I think I piped a little too much frosting on some of them, but luckily the frosting is always my favorite part, so that aspect was perfect to me although it might have been too much for other people.

Naked and ready


I dyed the frosting blue and yellow on a whim and secretly called them Ravenclaw cupcakes and felt clever. I spent way too much time decorating these, but I really liked how they all looked different. If anyone was impressed aside from gb, they didn't make it vocal. In fact, I think it was too hot for anyone to really do or say anything about food. I know they threw a drunken, raucous party that night and I was told that all of the cupcakes were eaten and enjoyed the following Sunday at Deadball.

Yum


Dense White Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes

3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat 1 stick butter and the granulated sugar until pale and fluffy.

Beat in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Reduce speed. Beat in flour, baking powder, and salt, then milk. Dough will be extremely thick until milk is added in.

Adding the milk


Spoon into cups. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool before frosting.

No comments: