12 July 2008

Birthday Cake: Sheeit

As many (or few of you) may or may not know, I work at a coffee shop named Iron Horse (IHCC) in the old downtown district of Rogers. July 10th was IHCC's 10th year in business and our boss decided we would give out free cake in celebration; so I volunteered to make a vanilla sheet cake.

In all of it's glory


The same day I made this cake, my grandpa had also returned home after three months in the hospital, so the decorating was a little rushed, and I ended up getting the colors of the diamonds out of order. (The diamonds are usually red-blue-yellow-green and say "IHCC" inside of them.) I'm told this did not affect the taste.

I had a doctor's appointment on the morning of the tenth after which I went grocery shopping. When I finally had a chance to go by the shop at 4 to get my slice of free cake, it was all gone. Oh well.

I had so much of the colored frosting left over.


I used a basic vanilla buttercream frosting recipe that I found on the Food Network website; it was the first time I had used it and I was really impressed by the simplicity and deliciousness of it. I will definitely be using it again for cupcakes and the like. Just as a note, I did a double recipe, using one recipe as the white frosting and dividing the other half into fourths and coloring them.

Quick Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Makes enough to ice 13x9 sheet

3 cups (or more) confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream

In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.

Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.

If you want to color the frosting, add the food dye one drop at a time, stirring thoroughly between each drop. Be sure not to use too much dye, as this can lead to an unpleasant taste and colored tongue.

No comments: