01 April 2009

When Class Gives You Lemons

During the Cake and Cookie chapter in my Foods class, I noticed that we skipped quite a few recipes; specifically, these lemon squares. I'd never had lemon bars before I made these in my Foods class, so I came home and put these together. During the next class, we backtracked and I got assigned to make these for a grade, which was great because I got to change some of the sugar content and make modifications.



These squares have a really great crumbly crust and a crispy coconut topping. The filling is a little runny immediately after being cooked, but after refrigeration for a few hours, the lemon flavor really comes out. As I mentioned before, I cut the sugar the second time around and the topping wasn't so overwhelmingly sweet.



These would be really great cut into dainty squares and served at a party or shower or something dainty like that. Also, be sure to keep these covered and refrigerated if you don't finish them all in one go.



Lemon Squares
Makes 16 squares

1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
4 egg yolks (or 2 eggs)
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups grated coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease a 9-inch square pan.

Mix butter, flour, baking powder, and egg together; press into a uniform layer in the bottom of baking pan.

In the top part of a double boiler, mix together the beaten yolks, butter, sugar, lemon zest, and juice. Stir constantly while heating over boiling water until thickened.

Spread uniformly over the bottom layer in the pan.

Beat remaining egg well with the sugar and add coconut. Spread evenly as a topping. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

No comments: